Book Trailers

There seems to be two different lines of thinking when you hear the word "Free".
Some people are excited and will take whatever "free" thing it is, whether they really need it or not. They're more "impulse" people.
Then there are those who think "free" means that it isn't worth anything.

I learned that by offering free Mini Teasers years back, during conventions. These videos cost hundreds of dollars if you have to pay for them. And many people DO pay for them at that price. But, people didn't seem interested in getting a free video.

We held a contest and the winner got a free video. There were about 20 people who applied. The person who won was thrilled, but one person contacted me, gave me a sob story (TMI = Too Much Information), and I agreed to do a video for her out of the kindness of my heart. I spent hours on it and did it myself. It turned out lovely. I sent it to her. I was so proud of it. And what did she think of it? Hmmmmm? Hard to say, since she never again emailed me. Not even to thank me.

Lesson learned.

What value is "FREE" to you? What determines the actual value of a free thing? Does "free" mean worthless to most people?

Well, I discounted 10 Cover Story videos. They're usually $250 and come with (uh oh...not that F word again!) FREE distribution. They even get put on Reader's Entertainment TV! They were discounted down to $180 for the first 10 people who emailed with an order and the discount number on the card given away at the convention.
How many people took advantage of a book video, with free distibution and placement on REC TV? Uh....none.

So, the days of the "free" and the home of the "discount" are done, I think. I have more people interested in paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a product, than any who want something for free, or nearly so.

What am I complaining about?! People want to pay top dollar for a quality video! I'm thrilled to hear it! I'm just curious as to why no one is interested in the Great American Deal anymore?

Sheila

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sheila, that's crazy that no one wanted to take advantage of the discounted rate. I would think that maybe if there was more promotion about it that more people would have wanted to go for it. As for no one really being interested in free is that I think most people are just naturally jaded and think there is nothing that is really free so what's the catch? Ya know?

Maybe now that things are settling down from RT people will find the cards with the offer and you'll get more hits about it - or people may just think that by now you've already got your ten so why bother. Maybe if you publicised it on the COS sit and myspace and BYS and such you could get more interest. Put in a deadline of a month and see if that generates interest.

just my 2 cents :)

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by COS Productions.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service